12 MAY 2014 - 12 APRIL 2016

Saturday, August 2, 2014

Temple Week, 29 Jul - 2 Aug, 2014

Tuesday-We are working mornings this week, 8-3.  Dad and I started out being coordinators in the same area.  We were given some basic training and then learned some things and procedures along the way.

The 10 a.m. session had multiple languages in it:  Spanish, French, Tamil (India), Dutch, and English.  It is always interesting to serve patrons from other countries.  Some of them do speak Engish enough to communicate, which is a great help to us.

The weather is cooler, clear, and breezy.  No rain today.

Wednesday-I was up early and outside to catch the sunrise.  I was too early though; waited an hour, got some pictures, but want more.  I had to go back in to get ready for our shift.  Maybe next week when we are on afternoons.
Sunrise across the street from the temple.
Early morning temple from the east.

Languages today included French, Dutch, and Korean.  There were a fair amount of patrons in the temple.  I am still learning my new duty station and there are sisters to help out.  I have appreciated that.

The Christensen's flew home today!  We will miss them but know they will be happy being back with their family.  The Wade's moved right into their flat as they had an ant infestation in theirs.  The engineers hope to clear them up before the Ibbotson's move in.

Dad and I stayed for the 2:30 p.m. session.  The air conditioning is working really well with less humidity outside, so the endowment room was freezing.  I was very glad I had taken my sweater to wear.

On our way home, we noticed the Wades were moving, so we stopped to help.  They would not let us and even refused us bringing them dinner.  (What is this with not letting people help?)  So, we devised a plan:  We prepared dinner and took plates of it to them.  They were so appreciative and accepting.  I told them if they didn't eat it now they could cover it and save for another time.

Thursday-Dad was early to cover the door and I was on the till with Sister Wade.  Sister Hyde came for another session of training and then Sister Wade was with me for the day - or I was with her.  She let me run the till and I only messed up a time or two, but was nothing that could not be easily remedied.  I said "dollar," instead of "pound," only once all day.

Funny Story:  Sister Hyde pulled out the instruction binder to show me where to find procedures if I got in a "pickle."  She thumbed through it trying to find a particular page and was very unhappy when she saw handwritten notes here and there and out dated material in it.  the more she looked through it, the more she decided she needed to take it and do a complete update, and that is what she did.  I sure hope I won't be needing it.  We were slow so there was plenty of time to think through the processes.

Friday-Another day at the till with Sister Wade. The temple was very slow and that included patrons that needed to rent clothing.  We had plenty of time to visit.  We got our rotas for next week and Sister Johnson stopped by to go over my assignment.  She was thorough with explanation and I was very happy for that.  She reminded me that I would be in charge and to not let other sisters tell me what to do.  If I have any questions, to please come to her.

When I came out of the temple at the end of our shift, there was the most lovely blossom in bloom.  I got the camera and took its picture!


Also mailed Juliann's birthday card.  The weather is beautiful with a gentle cool breeze, blue skies dotted with puffy white clouds.  The grounds and gardens add splashes of color to the scenery.  I stopped by the Wade's as she had food stuff for us she wants to get rid of and I was over to the accommodations Centre to rehearse with Sister Smith.  We were on the phone to Juliann as she told us about Adellae's swim meet.

I did a lot of reading and almost finished the book I am on.  We go in early tomorrow so we wanted to be to bed on time as Saturdays are busy days.

Saturday-We were off to the temple early - 7 a.m., ready for the 7:30 a.m. preparation meeting and  the 8 a.m. session.  Patrons were coming in as there were quite a few new patrons and their families and friends were with them.  The afternoon shift arrived at 10:30 a.m. and their extra help was needed.  I finished up the day in sealings, proxying as a daughter, which included several "Eliza's!"  I smiled each time.

After we got home, we met with Sister Smith to rehearse and we rehearsed our song as well.  We washed our temple clothes and then walked to Lingfield for dinner.  Dad had a fried slice with egg, beans, and fried tomatoes.  He wasn't sure what a "fried slice" was, so he asked.  The waiter did not speak English and therefore did not understand what Dad was asking.  Another customer joined in and said:  "It is a piece of bread.  A piece of bread cooked on the grill."  (For us that would be toast?)
I had a jacket potato (baked potato)  with beans, salad, and coleslaw.  We did enjoy the meal.

It was another one of those walks that included scenery and picture taking.  The weather was perfect; breezy, sun, clouds, and mild enough temp that walking got you a little warm.
There are horses in the field beyond the trees.  We are not sure what the little read berry-thing is.  We do recognize the blackberries.

We also noted more names of cottages along the road:  Heatherbank, Avondale, Cassillis, Bluefields, Crooked Cottage, Ivy Cottages, 1895, Tanglewood, and Lundhurst.

No comments:

Post a Comment